Leadership trainingCourses and programmes to help develop the childcare leaders of tomorrow!
My leadership and management courses, such as those listed below, can make a real difference to your career and to your team. I provide a number of tried and tested sessions that are perfect for inset days as well as a number of development programmes, such as my well-received “Meeting the management challenge” series. I can also tailor bespoke sessions and programmes to meet your needs.
Essential skills for managing people
Aim – to support potential and existing leaders in their challenging role.
- To have knowledge of the skills and competencies needed to carry out their role
- Develop their leadership skills through reflection and effective communication
- To be aware of the challenges facing them, and have strategies to support their role.
Problem Solving and Decision Making Techniques
Aim – to support Potential and existing leaders to develop problem solving skills and effective ways of communicating Information.
- To Importance of defining problems, and the impact that they can have on the setting’s performance
- To look at different techniques for analysing problems
- To examine and evaluate the effectiveness of different problem solving techniques
- Meeting the challenge of making decisions.
Enhancing your team's performance through developing coaching and mentoring skills
This is a two day workshop, preferably with a month in between, to allow time to practice the skills in-between.
Objectives – day one
- Will have knowledge of the skills and competencies needed to carry out their role when developing their staff team during supervision.
- Develop their coaching and mentoring skills through reflecting on their own learning styles and those of others.
- Be aware of the challenges facing them, and have strategies for support their role.
Objectives – day two
- Will extend their knowledge in assessing their effectiveness in the coaching and mentoring role
- Practice the skills needed.
Aim – to identify the impact that effective time management has on a Deputy or Manager’s ability to successfully undertake their role
- To explore and define the time challenges faces by Deputies and Managers
- Look at how to prioritise tasks
- Have a knowledge of time management planning tools
Sharing values and understanding quality
Aim: To enable managers to assess their own and their settings practice to assure quality.
- Explore and define what quality looks like in a child care setting
- Build and maintain a shared vision of quality childcare with their team
- Have an awareness of how effective communication systems, appropriate management/leadership styles can impact on their practice
- Know the impact quality care can have on the outcome of their Ofsted inspection and their business.
Getting it right from the start: effective recruitment and retention
Aim:To assist participants in the recruitment, development and retention of their staff team
- To explore and define the best methods of recruiting staff and effective interview techniques.
- To appreciate the positive impact of a thorough induction programme
- How to establish and maintain a supervision and appraisal scheme to support and develop their staff team.
- Be able to identify training needs, and the most suitable method for your team.
Working effectively with others – how to avoid and resolve conflict in the workplace
Aim: To look at strategies for dealing with conflict in the workplace.
- What is conflict – defining the different interpretations and definition of conflict
- Examine the impact that conflict has on the setting, children, parents and the business.
- To explore conflict resolution techniques including Assertiveness Techniques and Non Violent Communication (NVC)
Confidence building and assertiveness skills for potential leaders and managers
Aim: to examine the challenges presented by the need to guide and lead your team to enable the best outcomes for children.
- What are the challenges? Examining the different methods of communication and the outcomes they achieve.
- To examine the impact that ineffective communication has on the confidence, ability and authority of these in a leadership position.
- To learn and practice effective assertiveness techniques.
Bespoke workshops, courses and programmes
I have also been commissioned by several individual nurseries to run bespoke training courses for their staff team. Here is an example of a course I ran for Gwendolen House Day Nursery in Putney.
Aim: to make us all match fit for our September start!
- To think about what we mean by leadership, and how important these skills are when managing and leading a room.
- How to help your team to work to their strengths and therefore delegate effectively.
- Effective communication and assertiveness techniques to help us deal with difficult situations with our teams and our parents.
Other clients include:
Evolution Pre-School – Hounslow
Harmony Day Nursery – Hammersmith
Once-upon-a-Time – Hayes
Bringing Up Baby – Wandsworth
Charing Cross Day Nursery – Hammersmith.
Cybertots – Hounslow
Maggie and Rose – Chiswick.
- Chairing and speaking at conferences
- Individual coaching and mentoring in the workplace
- Consultancy for settings who require help with team work and development
- Training and empowering Early Years Professionals
- And more!
Find out more
I’d be delighted to meet you to find out if my assistance would be appropriate. To discuss your specific requirements or to book a session for your team’s next inset day, please do get in touch.